Thursday 22 October 2009

An Old Chestnut


OK, i know it's a dun, but painting horses is one of those issues that seems to have troubled wargamers since prehistoric times. I'm currently contemplating painting some cavalry next so i had a look through the vintage ranks - looking for inspiration and tips from the 'great masters'. I came across this Hinchliffe ECW officer by Phil Robinson and, although in general i find his horses a bit garish, i do like the effect he's achieved here. The horse has been washed in a tan colour, most of which has been wiped off, and then shadows have been applied in a mid grey. Details have been lined in brown ink (since unfortunately aged to black) in the usual Robinson style.

A funny thing is how my photography just doesn't do the Robinson figures justice - this isn't just down to my ineptitude as usually my own figures actually come out looking better then they really are....very odd...

Where i think i go wrong with horses is in not being bold enough - they benefit from a bit of drama in just the same way as human figures. With that in mind we'll see how i do with the next batch i smear paint onto (ETA Christmas - judging by my current workload).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right that boldness is valuable; although I like to think I'm OK with horses, I do kind of lose my nerve sometimes.

Also I find if I deviate from a familiar repertoire of chestnuts, bays, blacks and greys, it gets more difficult and potentially unconvincing, so it's helpful to see the dun.

Thanks
Steve Gill