I've never been happy with my horses - the finished article always seems a bit dull in comparison to the rest of my toys. So i decided to be a bit bolder with the latest batch, and the dun and grey above are two of the results. All i've done is increased the contrast between the shadows and highlights and i think it's worked. Using lighter colours than the usual Vandyke Brown, black, etc. helped a lot - and is probably the no-brainer answer!
As usual i've used a white undercoat, applied a colour wash ( Burnt Umber oil, and Humbrol Gloss 5 respectively) which is then wiped off, the deepest shadows are painted in with a darker shade of the wash. Lower legs, mane, tail and muzzle are then painted in and highlighted with a dry brush (or a wipe-off as in the dun).